Ok, it’s often said that you should have a plan before doing anything. You can deviate from that plan, but it helps to know generally where you are going.
So here’s the plan regarding creating a video game:
- Get a version of linux set up for development. I have read up on the internet (ie. http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major) about different distributions. I think I will try out Ubuntu and go from there. I might try Fedora; I use Red Hat at work, but it seems like Ubuntu is more popular….and, popular == better, right??
- Learn Python. Seems cool and pretty useful.
- Create a simple game from scratch, using Python and C++ if necessary. I am thinking something on the level of Pong or Pac-man.
- Review some mature-development open-source games. Look through the code and try to figure out how they do stuff.
- Get involved in a large open-source game project.